While we may not be getting back to our regular orienteering schedules as soon as we might prefer, many clubs have developed an array of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) orienteering options in compliance with gradual relaxing of restrictions on travel and small group activities, especially outdoors. Here at OrienteeringUSA, we have also noticed an uptick in inquiries from the general public about how to try orienteering so this is a great time to review our social-distance-friendly options.
We have begun adding DIY courses to the OUSA website on the Permanent Course page with convenient Google Locator Map. These will include both short-term DIY courses with flags and/or streamers in the woods as well as flag-less electronic courses using UsynligO or O-Range electronic punching.
In order that we may provide the most up-to-date and comprehensive listing of current events and drive potential new orienteers to your club website and events, we would like to ask the event/mapping coordinators in our member clubs to assist us with the following items:
- Please review the OUSA Permanent Course maps for your area
- Confirm the currently listed permanent courses and details (club web page URL, location etc) are correct
- Advise us if any courses are no longer in use so we can remove them from the map
- Let us know when you add new maps / courses to your clubs offerings to keep the map current
- Update: As of Aug 15, 2020 we are reverting the permanent course listing to just normal permanent courses. Short-term DIY courses should be promoted on your local club web page as appropriate.
Let us know of any DIY courses you are currently implementing Location/Name of event Start & End dates of your event – I will automatically remove when the window closes. Please advise if you extend the window to stay on the map. Type of event: Flags or streamers in the forest – Temporary Flag-less electronic punching – Electronic URL to your clubs web page for DIY courses
- Be sure to check the OUSA Safety Recommendations for DIY events and remain in compliance with federal, state & local directives for safe activities.
Email information to firstname.lastname@example.org.