Maps created through the YMP will be stored on an OUSA shared drive “OUSA Maps” and will be organized into sub-folders for every US state as 2-letter state codes [ST] and another sub-folder in each state for county. The maps created and possibly updated later, plus background files or any other files submitted for a site (school, small park, etc.) will be stored in the same folder.
Map Naming Convention: Date_Map Name_Scale_xxx
- Date is in the format YYYY_MM_DD, e.g. “2020_06_03”.
- Map Name should not be abbreviated, as abbreviations make searching for maps of certain locations far more difficult. Usually the name of the school or park.
- Scale is in the format “4000scale”.
- “_xxx” is optional to be used if for example, a large school district has one project number, with a 1:4,000 map, but additional 1:1,000 maps were made, e.g., for the _ElemSchool and one for the _AthleticFieldsComplex.
Submitting Files to the YMP Map Consultant – both Draft and Final versions
- Submit a full-feature (at least OCAD 12) version of the map file with linked background maps. If the map is drawn in OOM, use “Save As” to create the OCAD file of the highest available file version and submit that (the most recent version 0.9.3 will save to OCAD 12).
- For this file ensure that:
- Map is in “Normal” mode rather than draft or transparent
- Unused background maps are removed (in OCAD, found at Manage Background Map -> Manage)
- All used background maps have been hidden
- All draft symbols and objects with unknown symbol are deleted
- No symbols are hidden or protected
- DEM is closed
- A version date appears in the upper right corner of the title bar. Format: “Map version: May 2020”
- If using OCAD, execute Map->Optimize/Repair to reduce file size and delete any objects without symbols. May also need to execute Symbol -> Remove Group Duplicates from Symbol Tree.
- Submit all relevant background map files (e.g. LiDAR hillshade, aerial imagery) and geo-referencing information (“world” files…e.g. Hillshade.tif and Hillshade.tfw) to assist future map updates and to allow the Map Consultant to inspect the work.
- Submit a PDF of the map and PDFs of any intended blow-up scales for beginners (including appropriate lay-out elements—“real estate” on the paper of a beginner blow-up is at a premium).
Return to YMP: Information for Mappers